Wednesday, January 16, 2008

UMass 82, Dayton 71

37.3

That'll be the bottom line for this one. Only twice this season have the Dayton Flyers shot below 43 percent from the field. Both times, they've lost. Against George Mason, they shot 36.4 percent. Tonight, it was 37.3.

And with that, we come back to earth.

It's funny how expectations change perceptions. Any other year, this loss would sting, sure, but you'd chalk it up to a bad night and move on. Now it feels different. With things going so well so many times, it became harder and harder to imagine the Flyers taking a step back.

In reality, this isn't a step back. It's just one of those nights. I guess that makes it a little easier to take. There's nothing to be overly concerned about. If the Flyers shoot like they normally do, they win this game.

But still.

I said in the preview that this might be a bigger game than the Xavier game, that the Flyers didn't want to be heading into Cincy knowing that a loss could send them to .500. But that's where they are.

Interestingly enough, the events of tonight may have further proved that no one will stroll through the A-10 and that a 2-2 record won't be a death knell. Xavier also threw in a clunker tonight, losing on the road by 19 to Temple. It's not very good for the A-10 to have two top 25 teams lose on the same night, but at least the Flyers aren't alone.

Finally, a message to the powder blue uniforms: You looked great. Really you did. I loved hanging out with you tonight. You were fun. You were exotic. You were so different than all the other uniforms. But I'm sorry. I just don't think it's going to work out between us right now. It's not you, it's me. I just . . . I don't know. I guess I've just got some things I need to sort out. That's all. Maybe some time down the line, we can hang out again and see where it goes. I'd really like that.

2 comments:

Johnny said...

Sometimes you have a bad shooting night. It happens to the best of teams. That not withstanding, what could have been done, speaking in terms of something proactive (not that we should have made more shots), that would have won us this game?

Recruiting Guy said...

My biggest issue with the Flyers in this loss was their lack of transition defense. UMass is known for getting the ball up the court quickly and attacking even off of made baskets and the Flyers never seemed to adapt to that style. Throughout the game, UD would make a huge shot and UMass would respond within seconds to keep the Flyers from getting any true momentum. So to answer your question Johnny I think UD's transition defense was the worse I've seen in a while and something that clearly needs addressed.