Tuesday, May 13, 2008

If I Were In Charge...


So, first some background. I'm a nerd. I'm a designer (well, page designer at least), so of course I'm a Uni Watch dork as well. I think baseball players should wear real stirrups. I hate drop shadows on logos and jersey numbers. I can't stand the unnecessary use of black in many logos, especially where it doesn't make sense (Yes, I'm looking at you, my beloved Cincinnati Reds). I get into athletics aesthetics. So I decided to redesign UD's uniforms because I don't like them. There are not that bad, but they're not that good either.

I, like several others, loved the return of Marian blue for at least one night last season. That's what got my mind going on a potential redesign. I know that many people think red first when they think about UD. That's ok, even if they are forgetting that Marian blue used to be as primary a UD color as red. I think both can co-exist, and I used both in my redesign.

Home jersey (Click on image for larger view)

I actually enjoyed Marquette's checkered look. And UD's other throwback jersey had a checkered look as well. I thought this look would be a good home jersey. I dropped the darker blue. UD doesn't need it.

Road jerseyThis one is actually my favorite. I think the Marian blue the UD red go great together. I think that the name on the back typeface possibly needs to be bigger, but this will do for now.

Third/road jerseyYeah, it's the return of the Marian blue. I love this one. The red really pops out against the blue jersey. I think UD should have went with red letters and numbers when they had the blue jersey last year. This is what I'd like to see. Maybe even wear it at Xavier to try to change our luck there.

Let me know what you all think.

2 comments:

t-bone said...

Love 'em!

Signed,
Tim, UniWatch Charter Member

Jersey said...

No homo, but they are sexy