Sunday, March 22, 2009

Despite 16-of-72 Today, Season a Huge Success

Like the rest of you, I was hoping for a better performance certainly, but like most of you, I was also very realistic. Heck, I'm the one who flat out said I thought UD would lose by double-digits to WVU, so I guess I can't complain, and I won't.

I'll give Kansas and Bill Self a lot of credit. They certainly didn't underestimate UD's athleticism, and they challenged every shot the Flyers took. I tend to agree with the comment in the post below about Bill Self being the best coach (or one of the best) in the nation. He certainly has done a remarkable job this year, especially when you consider everything they lost after winning the title last season.

Now back to the Flyers. I really don't care what the final score was today, or how poorly the team shot from the field (22.2%). By any standard, this season was a huge success.

-The team had 27 wins, including solid regular season victories over Marquette and Xavier.
-Dayton made it to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 5 years
-The team won an NCAA Tournament game for the first time in 19 years

Those three things alone make it a great season, particularly the last one. Plus, with only Charles Little graduating, you have to feel good about next season as well.

Sure it sucks to lose today, but I'm really not that broken up about it. I've already switched into the "Let's be happy for what this team achieved, and let's get geared up for a great run next season" mode.

Congrats to the Flyers on a great year, and here's to more success in 2009-2010.

5 comments:

baskiceball said...

I can't believe it's all over - I wasn't ready for this season to end yet.

While the Flyers didn't always win pretty or play how I hoped they would, their record speaks for itself. I'm so happy for all they achieved this year and look forward to seeing what they'll bring to the table next season. Go Flyers!

< / end sappy comment >

DiSab said...

One of the greatest seasons in a long time. Excellent play by everyone, and a hell of an end to the season. Best of all - it was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. Looking forward to even more fun next year.

Gooooooo Dayton Flyers!!

Ryan said...

Too bad, I liked Dayton. Greg Ostertag II had a game I guess.

BH said...

Good job Flyers for a great season.

Recruiting Guy said...

Completely agree with Broadcastingfools post. It was a great season and proof that Gregory has this team heading in the right direction. While yesterday wasn't pretty, I do feel that on a good day the Flyers can hang with Kansas. All I know is as long as Wright returns next year the sky is the limit for this team.